|Administrative History||The National Shell factory on Sackville Street was purchased in 1919 by engineer and entrepreneur John Pickering. The factory would become the Barnsley Canister and Engineering Company Limited and opened its doors on 22 May 1919. The company specialised in custom-manufactured, intricately designed round or square tins with slip, plug, lever, or hinged lid.|
Two years after starting production, the Barnsley Canister Company generated a profit of £5,695.8s.9d, about £165,000 in today's money. By 1935, this had risen to £108,000, almost £4 million today. From the beginning, the company's workforce was predominantly female; during the 1960s, the factory employed over 500 people, 90% of who were women. This ethos continued right up until the factory's closure. The 1970s saw the company grow substantially. With a workforce of over 700, and order being received from across the globe, a new factory was built in Wombwell in 1978.