|Description||The collection is arranged by council; the first section is Penistone U.D.C. followed by Hoylandswaine U.D.C (section 2) and Thurlstone U.D.C. (section 3). Subjects covered include council meetings, finance, legislation, housing, civil defence, library, public utilities and health.|
|Administrative History||The urban district of Penistone was created in 1895 as a result of the Local Government Act (1894). Prior to this the area had been under the control of Penistone Local Board. The council was responsible for providing services in the district such as housing, planning, parks and highways. The functions of the council were transferred to the newly created Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council in April 1974. Around this time Penistone was granted successor parish status set out in the Local Government Act (1972) and Penistone Town Council was formed, which enabled certain charter rights to remain locally such as a town mayor with civic responsibilities and use of any coat of arms.|
Hoylandswaine Urban District Council was created in 1896; the area previously being administered by Hoylandswaine Local Board. It was responsible for similar services although in 1938 as a result of legislation to reduce the number of rural and urban districts in England and Wales, Hoylandswaine U.D.C. was abolished and the area transferred to an enlarged Penistone Urban District Council.
Thurlstone Urban District Council was created in 1894 and was also abolished in 1938. The area was split between Penistone U.D.C and Penistone R.D.C.; therefore records relating to the former Thurlstone district exist in both collections.